Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You Dropped Your Elephant, Sir. (Fall Break Part II)

If you missed part one, you've got two options. You can either scroll down a bit. OR. If you're lazy, you can click here. :)


So, you may recall that I left you with a picture of a certain tower that I've begun a love affair with. So I suppose you know now that we officially arrived in Paris. AND I LOVED IT.

One thing I did not love was that whole French pronunciation thing. Now, with my vast expertise in this area (read: none), I didn't realize how much like a baby I would sound when trying to get my point across. For example. We were strolling along to our hostel when a man holding a child dropped a stuffed elephant. Me, being the kind and loving person I am, wanted to alert them of this tragedy. So I proceed to point and make baby/orangutan noises when I realized I knew not a single word to say.

They retrieved the elephant and showered me with thanks. Which I responded to with a classy seal impersonation.

MOVING ON. We found our hostel, took our usual nap, and quickly realized that a lot of places are closed on Sunday (duh.) and finding food would be harder than we thought. So we stopped in to a chain called Hippopotamus because we I was getting really cranky. Nothing too fancy but it tasted oh so good in my empty belly. (And they spoke English.)

PINK FLAMINGO. Similar to a CocoFrost Smoothie.

Burger. And our first FRENCH fries.

Calmars? We assume calamari.

Bellies full, we realized that we had done a lot of walking and we were frustrated we didn't know any French. Now the rule for this trip was no frustrations, so we pushed on. And then stumbled upon the first second love of my life. I mean. I guess we didn't really stumble upon it. It's hard to miss.

The walk towards it was magical.

WE'RE IN PARIS!

Oh hey, didn't see you there.

Some girls from Minnesota took this. 

Now. If you know anything about the two of us, you know we have a thing for crepes. Naturally, we bought one from those touristy stands so we could celebrate right away.

Our crepe faces. Most attractive couple award. Bam.

And then we decided to sit at Champs de Mars and wait until it sparkled. And take more pictures. Just one more. 

BEST PICTURE IN THE WORLD.

That was the end of that night. Fast forward to breakfast. We ate bagels. From Morry's Bagels and Toasts. One with duck on it without knowing. (Freaking French.) The other one had guac on it. SO GOOD.

Oh Lordy, I missed bagels.

Here comes the story of how we made it to Emily's. BY THE WAY I SAW EMILY AND IT WAS GREAT. :D

Now. We had an address. So we lugged our suitcase to her place, only to realize we had no way of contacting her to let her know of our arrival. Luckily, the windows were being washed, so we snuck into the building. Then we realized we had no apartment number either. So Paul ran up one side of the stairs, to no avail. I went up the left side, only to find two Italian boys coming up the stairs and going into their apartment. I decided that it was completely rational to ask them if they knew my friend Emily. KEEP IN MIND MY FRENCH GENIUS. Let me tell you, it was an experience. It also did not produce results. Random lady walked up the stairs? PARLEZ-VOUS ANGLAIS? UH. ENGLISH? DO YOU KNOW MY FRIEND EMILY?! Wouldn't you know, this lady was on her way to the gynecologist's office and didn't even live in the building.

Who's the crazy foreigner now?

So we reluctantly left, but we couldn't give up. Seeing as our suitcase would be a HUGE hinderance. So we walked to the nearest hotel and begged them to let us use their computer. WOULDN'T YOU GUESS it wasn't working. So we frantically found another one and played the 'we're lost' card. Luckily, this nice man let us use his computer for free. I eagerly checked to see if her Facebook message contained a number. It didn't. So I sent a desperate message, praying we could find her somehow.

THEN. THE MAGICAL GREEN DOT OF ONLINE CHAT POPPED UP. I USED A FRENCH KEYBOARD AND COULDN'T FIND THE QUESTION MARK, SO EVERYTHING SOUNDED SUPER DEMANDING. But we did it.

I tell it really well in person. With the right pauses and dramatic emphasis.

This next part requires a soundtrack. Please play it. Please. DON'T LIE AND PRETEND YOU DIDN'T.

We did. And it was the most epic thing of my life since seeing the Eiffel Tower.

This was for you, Kaitlyn.

SUCH A BEAUTIFUL PLACE. And my great boyfriend let us go inside and it was so pretty and OH MY GOSH. I don't have pictures of the inside, because that would be ten more you had to look at. Oh well. (Note: If you haven't played the soundtrack yet. You suck and have officially ruined my fun.)

AW YEAH.

QUASI, YOU THERE?

Me pulling an Esmeralda for ya.

FIGURE IT OUT? It's Notre Dame. :D

Now. It seems this is a long blog post. So I'mma fast forward and stop at pictures. LOUVRE.

I took a picture of the little one because it's not as loved.

OH HEY.

I made him kiss a lion. I'm sure he loves me.

HEY CALIGULA. Thanks for getting me an A- on my Art History exam.

OH MY GOSH. We're going up.

I watch soccer from the bad seats.

ON TOP OF THE TOWER!

In case you wanted to know, this is what the tippy-top looks like.

Sigh. Magical. Amazing.

FOOD.
Salmon pasta. MMM.

Escargot. (You pronounce it ess-car-got-ssss)

DELICIOUS SNAIL FACES. (They were soooo good.)

CREPES. Know what black pudding is? We didn't.

LAMBN'FRIES.

CHICKENN'FRIES ACTION SHOT.

We also went lots of other places and wandered a lot, but I think you've had enough for now. If you stuck it out, thank you for staying with me. AND THANK YOU ESPECIALLY TO EMILY FOR BEING THE MOST AMAZING HOST IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

Oh but I'm not done yet. Stay tuned.

Yes. I'm creepy. BUT HOW ADORABLE?

Love you, Kris. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment