Wednesday, November 16, 2011

TEN MINUTES! TWO MINUTES! ONE MINUTE!

FINALLY AN UPDATE ON MY WEEKEND.

Somebody's been dropping the ball around here lately. That might be me, but I can't be quite sure.

As I've mentioned before, I went to Naples and Capri with Paul and his Mom last Friday before she flew home. I'm so, so glad I got to go there before we left because I would have been pretty bummed to miss out on this Island.

We were on a bus for a couple of hours before we reached Naples. The bus was nice and had a rest stop both there and on the way back. So that's a plus one for them!

It says wummis. Please tell me you think that's funny.

Our first stop of the day was the coast of Naples. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. 

I would like a castle on the water.

So pretty.

Rocks look enticing.

We hopped over a rail and crossed some rocks to get this. :D

Now here's the really cool thing. Some of you may know that Friday was a pretty special day.

The time on the ticket was when the boat left. Ruiner.

I wish on 11:11 pretty frequently and with a large amount of enthusiasm. So, as you can imagine, I was one of those people anxiously awaiting 11:11 on 11/11/11. So many ones I don't even know what to do with them all. People set alarms. I just looked at my phone every thirty seconds to make sure I didn't miss it.

It's hard to portray my wish face. I think I failed.

And we didn't!!

It was really nice, because regardless of what I wished for, I was still going to be in Naples on some rocks by the water. Which was amazing. Mrs. Hyer, thanks for making my 11/11/11 amazing. :D

Just can't get enough.

Look at that post wish happiness.

Next thing on our agenda was to hop the ferry over to Capri. A lot of people went here when it was warm for swimming and things of the like, but it wasn't too cold so we still got to enjoy it!

Once we reached the island, we immediately hopped on a boat to take us to the Blue Grotto. Now, the thing about this grotto is that the water is supposed to look absolutely spectacular because of the way the sun reflects up and into the cave. It did NOT disappoint.

The boat ride to the grotto.

Me jokingly: HAHA LOOK. THE BLUE GROTTO.

Oh....wait...it's only that big?

Pictures will never do it justice.

Hole leading to who knows where.

Some more cave.

Laying down to fit through the hole.

Yup, that's right. That tiny hole has to fit a small boat full of people. We crammed five people plus our guide into one. Let's just say we got cozy really quickly. We also got really lucky because if the tide is too high you aren't allowed to see the grotto. Wonder why. You'd probably get a concussion or two trying to get in there.

Next we travelled for lunch! Also, we stopped in a little shop to try some Limencello, because that's what Capri is known for. They're also a really big tourist spot, so that's most of their lives. There are only thirteen thousand people on the whole island. That's crazy!

This is a pretty cute lemon.

Where we dined.

Seafood risotto. 

Fried calamari and a salad. I promise there used to be more.

Chocolate cake and ice cream. NOT gelato. It's been a while.

It was a nice little meal, but we only had a short amount of time to make it up to Anacapri, the upper part of the island. We took a bus up there and I'm so glad we made it. The thing about Capri is that there's on way up and down the island. A tiny road expected to fit cars going both ways. Oh, it has pretty tight curves most of the way as well. IT WAS SCARY. Scarier than driving in Rome, I'm pretty sure. Luckily, our bus driver had some serious skills. 

When we got to the top, we had about thirty-five minutes to explore. Mrs. Hyer went to some shops and got some really beautiful things! Paul and I kept going up to the top. They have a chairlift that takes you to the very, very top. TWO THOUSAND feet above the sea. 

The pictures are plentiful, and these aren't even the half of them.

Single seat chair lifts!

On the way up!

Still going up. It's a thirteen minute ride.

I met a nice lady!

OHIGEIOF. Can you see that water?

Those are the little rocks that are on Capri postcards.

Nothing but water.

Another shot of them because I felt like it.

I'm on top of an island. No big deal.

So is this guy!

A large cliff with the sun posing.

Another post card shot. Minus the railing.

ON TOP OF SPAGHETTI.

Oh there it is again. You surprised?

The way back down.

That's my shadow on a chairlift.

It was an amazing sight that pictures can't describe. Also, my words fail me. So you really just have to get to Capri yourself. Sorry, mates.

It was really cool passing people on the chairlift. I got a konichiwa (if that's even how you spell it) which I thought was pretty awesome. A bunch of people said hi and waved. I guess people just like me. I kid, I kid. :)

Then we hustled back to the boat, back to Naples, back to the bus, and back to Rome. Without Naples pizza. But you win some, you lose some.

It was a great, great day and I'm so glad that Paul's mom was there to see it all with us!! It was a great week having her here and I was sad to see her go home. Because I'm lame like that. :) But a gigantic THANK YOU goes out to her!!

The only bad thing that happened was a pretty bad cold that I'm assuming came from the lady behind me on the bus.

I hope it goes away before tomorrow. Where I go somewhere I can speak English all weekend. AND. I get to visit my favorite female Californian. :D

Except. Minus Jake's mouth. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Amanda I am so happy you got to go to Capri! I went there before coming to London, it is absolutely amazing! Your pictures are great! I didnt go to the blue grotto but I swam in the green grotto! SO amazing, I loved Capri.

    I can NOT wait until you and Adam get here! I love the picture hahaha! We will have such a fun time :) Brush up on your english ;)

    ReplyDelete